Ornate white porcelain ashtray, 5 in. dia. x 1 in. deep, with the emblem of the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force at center, the lip bearing nine gold stars, all surrounded by gold trim. The ashtray bears a Bavarian 'TIRSCHENREUTH' porcelain maker's stamp on bottom. This ashtray was owned by Gen. CLARENCE R. HUEBNER (1888-1972), as indicated by a letter of provenance - also included in this lot - from Huebner's direct descendant. Slight chip at the rim, else fine condition. Huebner was an American general who commanded the 1st Infantry Division, popularly known as the 'Big Red One', in early August of 1943. He commanded the division during the D-Day landings on June 6, 1944, where it was the first force to face the Germans on Omaha Beach, and he joined his men on the beach the same day. The division was instrumental in the breakthrough following the battle for St. Lo and in foiling the German counteroffensive at Mortain. After the Allied breakout in Normandy, the division advanced rapidly, arriving at the German border in early October of 1944, where it was committed to battle at Aachen, which it captured after two weeks of heavy fighting. After experiencing heavy fighting once again in the Huertgen Forest, the division briefly rested but soon returned to counter the German offensive at the Battle of the Bulge in December, 1944. In January, 1945, Huebner was named commander of the V Corps, which he led in its advance to the Elbe river, where elements of the corps made the first contact with the Soviet Red Army.