Terms and Conditions of Sale
1. This auction is conducted under the laws of the State of Maryland.
2. This is a live auction. The auctioneer is licensed and bonded pursuant to the laws of Cecil County, Maryland.
3. A buyer’s premium of 25% will be added to the final hammer price of each lot purchased directly through Alexander Historical Auctions and a buyer’s premium of 30% will be added to lots sold through any other third-party bidding platform, i.e. Invaluable, Liveauctioneers, Auctionzip, etc. A 2% discount to the buyer’s premium can be applied for payments made by cash, check, domestic bank transfers, and money orders.
4. The Auctioneer reserves the right to reject any bid for any reason. In exceptional cases of clerking errors, third-party bidding platform errors, miscommunication, or other errors beyond the direct control of the auctioneer, the auctioneer reserves the right to withdraw the lot after the hammer has fallen but only before any payment has been accepted.
5. The Auctioneer reserves the right to withdraw any lot for any reason at any time.
6. In the event of duplicate high bids, the earliest bid received will be the winner.
7. Some lots may carry a reserve beneath which the item will not be sold. Any reserve will always be at or below the low estimate. Reserves and maximum bids will not be disclosed.
8. All autograph material in this sale is guaranteed genuine for the life of the original purchaser (unless otherwise stated or if contrary to other provisions of these terms). Any autograph item sold which is determined to be not authentic by two independent authenticators acceptable to both parties to the sale may be returned by the original buyer at any time for an immediate refund of the purchase price only. Non-autograph items are guaranteed genuine for a period of twenty-one (21) days of receipt. If determined to be not authentic by two independent dealers or authenticators acceptable to both parties to the sale within the twenty-one (21) day period the item may be returned for a refund of the purchase price only. Some lots may be sold in as-is condition and are marked as such in the description. These items are not returnable for any reason.
9. All returned lots must be in the same condition as shipped. All items are in very good condition unless stated otherwise. Items housed in frames have not been examined outside of the frame. Lots which bear defects or damage not visible because of framing will not be subject to return because of hidden damage. Auctioneer will not be responsible for shipping costs, after auction appraisal fees, testing or any other post-auction costs. Under no circumstances will the auctioneer be responsible for lost profits or other financial damages.
10. Any lot containing five or more items is not subject to return for any reason.
11. Bidders are advised that we are not selling frames or framing glass, and therefore the condition of the frame or the glass shall not be considered reason for return. Shipping costs for framed items may vary greatly depending on the size and/or weight of the frame, and at times these charges may be quite substantial. Customers may request us to remove autographs, artwork, etc. from its frame to reduce shipping charges. We will accommodate customers in that respect for an additional charge of $10.00 per framed item, but such service will be undertaken at our sole discretion. Alexander Historical Auctions will exercise care in removing items from frames, but this is done ENTIRELY at the risk of the buyer and the buyer fully indemnifies Alexander Historical Auctions for any and all damage that may occur as a result of any attempt by us to remove the item from a frame, mat, glass, etc.
12. Illustrations of lots in this catalog and our website may have had size, color, brightness and contrast modifications for display purposes only.
13. Estimated selling prices are for your guidance only. Actual selling prices may be higher or lower than the estimate indicated.
14. The placing of a bid legally binds the bidder to purchase the lot at or below the bid placed, plus buyer’s premium (see Item 3). Bids may not be retracted without our approval: those doing so will be banned from future participation and will be reported to the trade. Please think before you bid! You are legally bound once you do so.
15. Absentee Bidding. All bidding is undertaken in a competitive manner. The winning bid will always be one bidding increment over the second highest bid. The minimum acceptable bid for any lot is one-half of the low estimate given in the item description. Bidders may call us at 203-276-1570 during office hours, Monday through Friday 10 A.M. – 5:30 P.M. EST. Live bidding: Bids entered during the course of the sale by bidders on the floor, on the phone, or live on the internet will be taken at the amount bid.
16. Payment is expected immediately upon, (but not before) receipt of invoice. We accept cash, business and personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders, bank transfer, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. All accounts are payable to Alexander Historical Auctions. Payment must be made in U.S. funds. Wire transfer details are available upon request. Please note that lots purchased are subject to sales taxes where applicable unless a resale number is filed with us prior to the auction. Invoices not paid within thirty days of the date of invoice will incur a 1.5% per month late payment fee.
17. Shipping, handling and insurance charges will be added to the invoice. Shipping to certain countries is extremely expensive and will be invoiced according to dimensional weight as required. Please inquire before bidding! Note: Certain items such as ammunition, firearms, large frames, fragile, large, heavy and bulky items may not be shipped by the auctioneer. Client must contact us to arrange for shipments of these pieces.
18. Property purchased and paid for by successful bidders but remaining unclaimed after 120 days will be deemed abandoned and title will be ceded to Alexander Historical Auctions, LLC.
19.The placing of a bid shall constitute acceptance of the preceding terms and conditions of sale as well as the Bidding Procedure guidelines posted in this catalog. Please note that by submitting a bid in this auction you agree to all the Terms and Conditions of Sale herein and on any participating website.
SPECIAL NOTE ON FIREARMS: Firearms are only sold and shipped to buyers in the United States, without exception. All firearms so required by law will be shipped from a registered Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder, to a registered FFL. The buyer is responsible for locating an FFL in their locale to receive the firearm(s) and perform any required background checks. The buyer is also responsible for contacting the FFL which has custody of the guns in our locale in order to pay the necessary transfer fees and shipping and handling costs. The contact information for the shipping FFL will be provided in the successful buyer’s invoice. The transfer fees for our FFL are $25 for each long gun, and $45 for each handgun. These fees, and any fees levied by the receiving FFL in the buyer’s locale, are the sole responsibility of the buyer.